Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Juggling act.... A day in my new life

I haven't posted in a while. I haven't been able to find the time.  And to be honest it's really been bothering me.  I think about it everyday.  I try to come up with something witty or funny.

But let's be honest:  that isn't realistic.  Life isn't always funny.

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.  Things don't go your way.  Unexpected issues pop up out of nowhere.  Your life might change for better or worse.

This is where I'm at right now.  This past week has been a whirlwind.  

The coach got a promotion at work that comes with a nice pay increase -  ($$ Ka-ching!! ) But with this new title comes much added responsibility and a renewed commitment to his work.  He can no longer make his own schedule and breeze out the door in the morning around 9am.  All week he has been up and out the door by 7 and not home before 6.  This may seem the norm for some and I get that these past 10 years I have been spoiled rotten having him home.

BUT:  I am NOT used to this!  I am juggling from the minute he leaves till the minute he comes home at night.
Trying to get two children ready for school,  packing backs, signing important papers, packing snack, and running like the wind to catch the bus aint easy folks.  Lunches from home?  Yeah right, "here's your $2.50 darling, now go get yourself a pre-made highly processed, salty, entree from the school cafeteria.  Enjoy it sweety!"  (Hey, I gotta cut corners somewhere!)  

Now factor in that I have to do all this AND deal with parents dropping off their children while taking care of them all (5 or 6 daycare kids, aged 11months through 3) making it almost impossible.  Unless you are a great multitasker, juggler, mom extraordinaire, rockin' daycare provider, ect.  (I'm sure I left something out in there!) 

Then I get to do it all over again in the afternoon.  Catch the buses, deal with daycare pickup from 2:30 until 5:00pm.  Try to clean up from the day, and I reiterate the word TRY.  Give snack to up to 7 children, clean up disaster area from feeding said 7 children.  Nag the athlete and princess to start homework.  Keep remaining children busy and out of the homework area while they are working.  Continue to nag about homework. Deal with more parent pickup and change any blowout diapers I happen to sniff out.  5pm daycare closes.  Think my day calms down now?

Ha ha ha, how funny you are!!!

Quickly run around house picking up stray toys that have made their way into every single damn room of my house.  Figure out dinner and start that.  Whatever it happens to be, it must be made and ready to eat in less than an hour.  Feed kids on Mon, Thurs nights early so they can go to practice.  Try to clean up dinner BEFORE practice so I don't have to come home to a stinking mess.  Try to start a load of laundry, IF I remember.  Spend some time with the kids and the coach before bed.  Make sure athlete takes his asthma meds, crank his newly implanted palette expander, nag them both to brush their teeth, break up arguments while they brush their teeth,  go up stairs tuck them in, say prayers, kiss them goodnight.  Go down stairs eagerly looking forward to watching my shows that have been DVRed and within 20 minutes fall asleep sitting up on the couch.  Wake up stiff a few hours later and drag my tired ass up to bed.

6:00am.  Alarm goes off.  Here we go again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I couldn't do it. I thought about doing home daycare, but decided it would be too much for me. It's a lot of work, on top of having your own family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot going on! Hang in there!


    visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Just reading about your day wears me out! I'm pregnant with our first, and wondering how I'll be able to do everything. My husband works crazy hours and are many nights that he doesn't come home til around 11. Yikes!
    You sound like an amazing mom to be able to handle it all!

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete

So what did ya' think???